Friday, May 6, 2011

So I've Decided...

So I've decided to start posting to our blog again. I did very good posting to Caringbridge with Gabi being sick and I am hoping to try and post at least once a week to this blog. It is easier to add pictures to this so you can hear about our story and our life and see it to.

We got to Texas last Friday (April 29). It is so nice to be home. Although I had not yet seen the house in person and it is filled to the brim with boxes and things in the boxes that need to find a place, it is home and I am glad to be here. I think one big thing for us is that not only do we have a residence, but we are at home with each other. Nick did an excellent job picking out our 4 bedroom house. It has a nice open downstairs with a nice sized kitchen. The master is downstairs with a beautiful bathroom and most importantly a giant bath tub. It is nice to live in a house where the rooms are big and our large family can spread out. It is also nice that we have plenty of room for visitors.

Before leaving for Texas and after a nice Easter with the Yearous side, we had a couple of follow-up appointments with some of Gabi's doctors from Children's in Omaha. On Wednesday (April 27) she followed up with the genetics doctor. He said that she has come back negative for all of the testing they did. He, however, is not convinced that she does not have some genetic disorder that predisposes her for further dissections and weakening of her arteries. He suggested that she should have further genetic testing for Smed-3 gene. This is a new test and is not done every where yet. Dr. Harry Dietz (one of the co-founders for Loeys-Dietz disorder) is at John's Hopkins in Baltimore. He is aware of Gabi's case and agrees that she should be further tested. He said that we could go to Baltimore to see him if we choose. We will start here in San Antonio and go from there. She also had her follow-up with Dr. Music her neuro-surgeon. He basically gave his blessing for us to leave and felt comfortable with us following up with him in September when we are back in the area. We were not planning on having a neuro-surgeon on board here in San Antonio, but time will tell. We hope to not need one.

On Monday, Gabi decided to give us a little excitement. She randomly started throwing up at about 8:15 in the morning. She had not had breakfast or her meds. She was just watching t.v. on Nick's lap and threw up. After a couple of times, I was wondering what was going on with her and wondering where she caught the obvious virus she had. Then she started throwing up every 10 minutes and after 2 1/2 hours, she had thrown up 20 times. We decided that with her recent history, she needed to go to the ER on base in case she was having some sort of swelling to her brain or in case something else was going on to involve her brain. Long story short...they did a CT scan and drew some blood work. They decided to take the cautious route and to send us to the Children's Hospital to be admitted for observation over night. She didn't throw up anymore and we went home the next afternoon. At least we are in the system now at the Children's hospital considering that is where we are planning on going for Gabi's care. The physiatrist even dropped by to see Gabi so that we could get her started on her therapy care. We hope to get her evaluations done next week.

That is an update of what is going on here with us. Please continue to check this blog for further updates on Gabi's progress and our new life in Texas.

No comments: